Search is worse with v5.6.0

Bug report

Hello again :slight_smile: This time time reporting a bug as a paid user :smiley:
I noticed that the search function is performing worse/not at all after the 5.6.0 update. My assumption: You changed it to look for ā€˜entire wordsā€™ instead of ā€˜containsā€™. In addition search does not update with every key typed. I am adding a few pictures so that it becomes obvious

Environment

• Platform: macOs m1 and m2 pro
  • Platform version: Sonoma 14.0
  • App Version: 5.6.0

How to reproduce

I have a note with the Title ā€œPerformanceā€ and am trying to search for it

Typing in ā€œperforā€ and even pressing ā€˜enterā€™ or ā€˜search allā€™ does nothing

I have now added another letter ā€˜performā€™ and now it is found

Searching for ā€˜formanceā€™ yields nothing, hence my assumption that it is looking for whole words instead of ā€˜containsā€™

If you want me to check some other things let me know :slight_smile: Overall I am very happy with the new update

1 Like

Hi SDO,

Thanks for the report.
I havenā€™t changed the full-text search in v5.6.0.
and I guess it would be a duplicate question of:

Could you check them?

Thank you, that explains it. However I find it weird that I did not notice this behavior at all with v5.5 but immediately with v5.6

thatā€™s weird but I have changed nothing regarding the FTS.
That ā€˜formanceā€™ yields nothing is an expected behavior of the Porter stemming algorithm, just like you canā€™t find pages including ā€˜performanceā€™ by searching with the keyword ā€˜formanceā€™ on Google.

Found that the prefix modifier hasnā€™t been added as of v5.6.0!
@SDO Sorry for my misunderstanding.
Check out the current discussion:

Thanks again for letting me know!

1 Like

Great to hear! This has been bugging me quite a bit :smile:

1 Like

v5.6.2 has been released :partying_face: Thanks again for reporting as always.

Thank you again. Muuuuch better now :slight_smile: Just one question whether this behaviour is normal:

writing ā€œperformā€ finds the note now when it didnā€™t previously. Everything from p ā†’ perform finds the note.
grafik

However, performa|performan|performanc do not find the note. Is this expected behavior from the algorithm?
grafik

ā€œperformanceā€ obviously works again

Yeah, I can see the similar behavior, too. And it looks like the expected behavior of the Porter stemming algorithm.
The only way to solve this is to use bi-gram/tri-gram but SQLite itself doesnā€™t support it natively.

understood. The way it works now is more than sufficient for my needs

1 Like

New Inkdrop user here, while this issue has been solved all my initial impressions with regards to how I will use Inkdrop relate to broadly to search:

1. Is INBOX a special notebook? - after reaching the search documentation and syncing a few notes between mac and android clients I was unable to replicate what I was seeing in the sidebar
    All Notes (4)
    Inbox (3)
    Search Term: book:Inbox (while case sensitive returns 0)

2. While the addition of To-Do Status Plugin changes the status of notes when the associated To-Do item is closed/completed I am unable to determine with or without plugin if it is possible to search for notes that contain to-do checklist items.

3. Saved searches - letā€™s say I have a somewhat complex search criteria for notes in a notebook containing these words and tags but not other ones, is it possible on any of the Inkdrop clients to save these searches for reuse later?

Thanks Josh