Plugin Request - In App file linking / Upload - With Bounty!

Hi!
Like many other it seems, i badly need a way to link/store files or attach them to a note.
When i read the forum, i read different things: That inkdrop is no Evernote, that it is for coding only (Dont need devs to attach the occasional file or two?), that it would be to complicated to code and lead to feature creep, or that the dev doesn’t want it or need it himself.

I know there is no hope for it to become a core feature. For what ever of those many reasons above.

So i think since there is demand, lets us pledge a bounty for the dev that makes this as a plugin!
I for one would pledge 30€ as a start.

In the future, if anyone wants this feature too, please add your pledge, and/or post here so we can show the potential plugin devs that there is demand!

To craftzdog: Why not make a marketplace for plugins, where other devs can be attracted to by earning for the plugins they code? So you can concentrate on the core app, and we users benefit from a bigger plugin ecosystem, and features we badly need.

To the plugin request:
I mean a UI where i could click on an “attachment” or other button, select a file, which is them uploaded to cloud storage, or on local storage, and the link automatically inserted into the note.

For examples:
Evernote has this ability for easy linking to Google Drive files.
The competing app “Standard Notes” has a plugin like this called “FileSafe”.

I know this can be done manually, but it complicated and slows down the workflow immensely.

3 Likes

Interesting idea. I’ll noodle on this one while I flex my plug-in muscles over the next while. I’m guessing that you’d like to see a place in the config to auth your storage solution appropriately as well?

I’ll check out Standard Notes and “FileSafe” and see what they do.

@craftzdog, through the plug-in architecture, does one have access to the encryption/decryption engine so that one could provide a file to the plug-in and then the plug-in could use the keys that are used for the notes to encrypt a payload before uploading to a cloud provider?

To craftzdog: Why not make a marketplace for plugins, where other devs can be attracted to by earning for the plugins they code? So you can concentrate on the core app, and we users benefit from a bigger plugin ecosystem, and features we badly need.

@anon39316857
After rolling out v4 and wrote up the comprehensive API documentation, I was actually thinking about ideas to involve more people in developing plugins.
A plugin marketplace sounds nice but it would be complicated to provide for me as a solo developer.
I can’t promise what I will do for it at the moment, but I am considering it.

@anon50674726
That’s great to hear you are interested in building this feature!
I personally think that the E2EE is not necessary when storing files on external file storages because it is simply useful that you can view and edit files on their apps, and iCloud itself supports E2EE.

Thanks!

I needed something like this just now, I think this is worth while feature and actually something interesting to hack on.

Also love the idea of plugin marketplace, count me in! :wink:

1 Like

As our plugin count increases, I would like to also suggest adding a sync plugins feature to the marketplace so I can sync the plugins in my Mac/Linux/Windows. @craftzdog

1 Like

See here: Feature request: ability to synchronize plugins across devices