Memory consumption is very high

bug

スクリーンショット 2021-09-08 11.05.26

The PC has 32GB of memory, but it consumes a lot of memory and the operation of the PC itself becomes heavy. Once you drop the ink drop, it will return to its original state.

Usage environment

• Platform: macOS
  • Platform version: macOS 11.4
  • App Version: 5.4.1

Reproduction method

I think that this symptom often occurs when the PC is put to sleep and released.

1 Like

Hi tecs,

Thank you for reporting it.
That’s weird.
It is usually around 200 MB or so in my environment, where I’m running it all day long.
I can’t reproduce it at the moment.
Plugins could cause that issue, so please try disabling them.
I’ll keep that in mind and check the memory usage.

スクリーンショット 2021-09-08 11.38.57

Thank you very much.
OK.
I restarted Inkdrop earlier and it was okay for a while, but when I checked it now, it was a strange number.
Try stopping the plugin once.

I tried on / off the plugin and was looking for the cause plugin, but for now, the symptom has disappeared just by turning on / off.

Thanks for the information.
That’s interesting.
Let me know if you found the culprit plugin.

I turned off all the plugins and watched for a while, but it didn’t improve. Apparently the plugin is not the cause X(

Thanks for letting me know.
So, it happens randomly.
The issue seems to depend on your environment or your account because I haven’t had such an issue after getting your report.
But it looks like it happens in the main process, not in the renderer process.
I guess it might be something to do with the database or the full-text search indexing.
If so, you should be able to reproduce by re-syncing data from scratch.
Could you try the following steps?

1. Back up your data and copy the backup files to somewhere just in case
  2. Quit Inkdrop
  3. Rename the local database:
    mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/inkdrop/db \
       ~/Library/Application\ Support/inkdrop/db.bak

4. Start Inkdrop and wait for the sync finishing

and see if the issue happens.

thank you. I made a backup on my desktop and then ran it in the terminal, but it says No such file or directory.

Mac-mini: ~ $ mv "~ / Library / Application Support / inkdrop / db" \
> "~ / Library / Application Support / inkdrop / db.bak"
mv: rename ~ / Library / Application Support / inkdrop / db to ~ / Library / Application Support / inkdrop / db.bak: No such file or directory

Sorry, the correct paths are:

mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/inkdrop/db \
   ~/Library/Application\ Support/inkdrop/db.bak

thank you. I was able to do it.
It is stable for now.

Okay, so, the issue didn’t happen when performing the full sync. That means that it is not related to the full-text indexing at least.
I guess it will probably happen again in the future.
But we don’t know how to reproduce it at the moment.

I’m experiencing a similar problem. My Mac uses 11GB of memory for Inkdrop, causing momentary freezes. This issue frequently occurs when I save my large notes (2,673 lines). Although restarting Inkdrop temporarily solves the problem, it resurfaces within an hour. Are there specific factors I should consider while trying to identify the root cause of this issue?

Usage environment

• Platform: macOS
  • Platform version: macOS 13.1
  • App Version: 5.5.3
  • App settings:
    • All community plugins are turned off

@Seito_Tanaka Thanks for bringing my attention to that.
I suspect that it happens during parsing JSON when transferring data from the main process to the renderer process because JSON.parse is not memory efficient.

In the next version, I’ll use structuredClone instead to avoid the issue.
Let’s see if it solves the issue!

Thanks! I’ll check at next version :+1:

@Seito_Tanaka Hey, v5.6.0-beta.0 is out! Could you try it?

Thank you! I’ll try it.

I tried beta, and my memory is fine so far. Another thing I noticed is that when I enter a key like “- aaa,” the drawing seems to stop for a moment. When I look at the profiler, it looks like the parse function is running for about 500ms. I hope this will be of some help.

@Seito_Tanaka Good to know that it is running fine so far.
Regarding the performance, can you give me a reproducible note content? I guess it’d be another issue, so we could discuss on a separate topic.

Ok, I opened new issue: Keystrokes are slow in the beta version