1 Like

Published the snap app on beta channel!

@anon62473734, could you try it?

How to install:

$ sudo snap install inkdrop --beta
# Allow the app to access to your keyring
$ sudo snap connect inkdrop:password-manager-service

It should install Inkdrop v3.24.0.
Please don’t forget to backup your notes beforehand just in case.

Please note that your old configuration and local db is not used anymore.
Because the path to your data will be:

~/snap/inkdrop/current/.config/inkdrop

Sure thing. Will give it a go when I get a chance later today hopefully.

1 Like

Got round to trying this this morning…

Both commands ran just fine. Launching Inkdrop was fine. The only issue I’ve spotted so far is the Linux GUI toolkit used (see attached image).

I’m still fairly new to Linux desktop but am I right thinking that this is now using an old version of GTK for the file dialogue and the application menu below the title bar?

As you can see from my application title bar I run a dark desktop theme. The .deb release of Inkdrop used to respect that: the title bar was dark, file dialogues were dark and used a modern version of GTK.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the report!
Glad to know that it worked correctly.
You are right. That’s because the snap app depends on gtk2 because Inkdrop is still based on Electron@1.x.
The next release will use electron@3 which supports gtk3, so I expect it will be resolved.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Does Electron have to use GTK or can it use QT if available? I run KDE Neon which is primarily KDE/QT based. Dialogues opening via GTK is always jarring and a bit of a pain.

It seems that Electron can only be built with GTK. I couldn’t find any information about running Electron on QT.

That’s a real shame, and not really in the spirit of Linux but I guess it’s understandable given how it likely makes the system simpler. Thanks for checking!

1 Like

So v3.25.0 just dropped and the dialogue to update has appeared. Clicking the “Download” button just takes me to the regular download page (where I used to download the .deb file from). How do you recommend updating Inkdrop if installed via snap?

BTW I tried sudo snap refresh inkdrop but it just said there were no updates available.

Yes, the new version of snap is not ready yet.
I have some problem with mac app now.
Please wait for a while.

Just released it on snap on “stable” channel.
Could you try executing sudo snap refresh inkdrop again?
You may have to specify --stable option because the previous version is published on beta channel.

It would be good to check if the app is running inside snap container so that the app can show you an instruction to update instead of just showing “Download” button.

I did have to specify --stable to pickup the update. Inkdrop launched fine after a successful download.

I’m now seeing what looks to be GTK3 UI (launched from Preferences > Backup location) but it’s using a light theme (Inkdrop GTK seems to be ignoring my OS prefs). The same appears to be true of the application menu below the application title.

By comparison, GitKraken, Slack and VS Code all seem to respect the OS preferences for a dark GTK theme (all Electron apps as I’m sure you’re aware) but I’m unsure if these are defaults for those apps or whether they truly are respecting the OS prefs for a dark GTK theme.

Thanks for the report.
On my Ubuntu 18.04, it seems that the app respects a dark GTK theme:

But I’ve installed it from deb package, so it might be a snap app problem.
Did you install other apps via snap?

Yes, that’s what I’m trying to say. Before running Inkdrop via snap I ran it from the .deb installation which respected the dark GTK theme prefs. I’ve only started seeing this issue since I installed via snap.

My Slack installation is via snap and that has a dark theme app menu though I’m not 100% if this is just always the case in Slack, irrespective of what theme prefs are set in the OS.

I also tried the snap app but confirmed that it respected the dark theme as expected.
I’m not sure why it won’t work in your environment.

Our Snap has been officially rolled out. Thank you guys, @anon62473734, @Sceptic and @Parker_Johansen!

Is the Snap still supported? https://snapcraft.io/inkdrop is stuck at version 3.25.4

@anon42954673 Unfortunately, the snap has been discontinued at the moment: