Inkdrop Mobile v5.4.0-beta.1 is out!

Hey Inkdroppers👋

It’s Takuya here.

As you may know, I’ve been working on upgrading the framework and fundamental libraries for the mobile version.
This work mainly aims at improving performance and refactoring.

:dash: Significant performance improvement on Android

After intensive optimization and tuning, I’ve managed to improve the launch speed ~300ms faster on Android!

Here is a demo:

As you can see, rendering the note list items is now as fast as iOS!

It turns out that even without Fabric, a new architecture for rendering UI in React Native, you can get this improvement, fortunately.
So, I decided to disable Fabric for now, and I found that it works pretty fine as far as I tried.
I wanted you to try it on your device as well.

:mag_right: The full-text search engine is now language-agnostic

The current version uses the language-dependent tokenization processes called the Porter stemming algorithm and a Japanese-specific segmentation algorithm.
In some cases, they cause some odd searching issues, where you can’t find notes with particular keywords.

I recently found that SQLite3 officially supports the trigram tokenizer.
I managed to migrate to it. Now, you can use any languages including Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc., in your notes!
Also, it fully supports partial matching, so it is optimal for searching code snippets.
For example, it can properly find a note with a code fragment like "er } = require(".

In addition, it lets you highlight matched keywords in the search results, which is cool.
This feature will be implemented in the future.

:wrench: Better maintainability with simplified dependencies

Thanks to the continuous evolution of React Native, it has performant JSI modules that can replace the complicated polyfill modules, such as RNCrypto.
This makes the app much more easy to maintain in the long term.
I also create one myself for using PouchDB with SQLite in a performant way.
So, I wanted to test it out on real devices during this beta testing.

:laughing: Join beta testing

Please feel free to let me know if you find any issues.
You can try the beta version from this link:

I hope you like it!
Thanks for supporting Inkdrop :heart:

Cheers,
Takuya

3 Likes