Can not enable vibrant dark theme

Bug report

Hi Takuya,
I cannot enable the vibrant dark theme. I have this issue on two different macbooks (haven’t tried on my windows pc). I restarted the Application multiple times. On one of my macbooks it suddenly worked after trying a lot of times, but on the other one it didn’t. I’ve attached a gif

Environment

• Platform: macOS
  • Platform version: 14.4.1
  • App Version: 5.8.1

How to reproduce

vibrantDark

Hi SDO,

Thanks for the report.
I think the config file is broken for some reason.
What does “*.core.themes” look like in your config.json?
You can manually remove the value to reset it.

It looks like this
grafik
but deleting “themes” did not help. The issue does not happen with other themes, only vibrant

That is weird. I tried to reproduce it but couldn’t.
It only happens with the vibrant dark theme – so, it sounds like the theme’s issue rather than the app.
Do you get any errors in the developer console?

No errors in the console either except for this. But only happens sometimes and not on every click

hmm, at this moment, I’m not sure what’s wrong here as I can’t reproduce it.
Which other plugins do you have?
Perhaps uninstalling every plugin might help.
Please let me know if you find anything.

Hi Takuya,

I have the same issue.

There are no issues in the console it seems (other than [Intervention] Slow network is detected. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5636954674692096 for more details. Fallback font will be used while loading: inkdrop://default-light-ui/styles/themes/default/assets/fonts/icons.woff2)

my config.json looks like this:

{
  "*": {
    "core": {
      "betaChannel": true,
      "db": {
        "backupPath": "{DELETED}",
        "machineId": "{DELETED}"
      },
      "lastNavigationState": {
        "editingNoteId": "note:{DELETED}",
        "queryContext": {
          "bookId": "book:{DELETED}",
          "filterKeyword": "",
          "includeChildren": false,
          "mode": "book",
          "sort": [
            {
              "updatedAt": "desc"
            }
          ]
        },
        "sidebar": {
          "workspace": {
            "visible": false
          }
        }
      },
      "mainWindow": {
        "acrylicEnabled": true,
        "fullscreen": false,
        "hiddenComponents": {
          "sidebar-menu": [],
          "sidebar-workspace-menu": []
        },
        "maximized": false,
        "position": {
          "x": 1372,
          "y": 724
        },
        "sideBar": {
          "w": 218
        },
        "size": {
          "h": 966,
          "w": 1409
        }
      },
      "themes": [
        "github-preview",
        "default-light-syntax",
        "default-light-ui"
      ]
    },
    "editor": {
      "lineNumbers": true,
      "viewMode": "edit"
    }
  }
}

deleting *.core.themes results in a fallback to default light

Oh I’m dumb and did not have enough coffee today.

“Automatically toggle between default light and dark” was enabled and therefore it automatically switched to Light like in the OPs GIF :man_facepalming:

After that I had to toggle acrylic translucent again (first off and then on again).

EDIT:

But I noticed another bug.

When I close the preferences window, the style of the main window looks off.

peek_2

It’s okay again after restarting the app.

1 Like

Consider me even dumber then :joy: Unbelievable how I missed that toggle

@craftzdog I guess enabling Vibrant Dark should maybe have the same behaviour as enabling Default Dark or it should automatically set the system preference toggle to false. But you’ll know better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think there should be two selects:

• default light theme
  • default dark theme

and 3 radio buttons:

Do you prefer to use the set light, dark theme or should Inkdrop use the settings of your operating system to set the previously chosen theme for you?
() use system settings (default)
() use light theme
() use dark theme

1 Like

Thanks for the report!

Ahh that makes sense.
You two are on the system light mode.
The vibrant dark theme tries to change the app-wide theme mode (which is called nativeTheme.themeSource in Electron) to dark.
It unexpectedly triggers the “Automatically toggle between default light and dark” feature, so the app quickly switches back to the default light themes.

Well, to fix this issue, the app should ignore the updated event when nativeTheme.themeSource is not "system".

BTW, out of curiosity, why would you use the dark theme on the system’s light mode?

When I close the preferences window, the style of the main window looks off.

Yeah, it looks like an Electron’s bug, since the app does nothing when closing the preferences window.
I guess nativeTheme does something wrong.
It doesn’t happen when in the system’s dark mode.
Since vibrant dark relies on the macOS’s dark mode, themeSource has to be set to dark.
Electron’s these theme-related features tend to be unstable, unfortunately.

Thanks again for your report and suggestion!

BTW, out of curiosity, why would you use the dark theme on the system’s light mode?

While I also usually use macOS light mode during the day and dark mode at night (automatic switching enabled), I tend to set some applications to dark that I don’t use that much on my secondary screen.

I usually have my Macbook as a secondary screen with all the messaging applications (email, slack, teams, inkdrop). I like to keep most of them in dark, so they don’t occupy much of my attention during the day when only my big main screen has light apps. Then my secondary screen moves even further into the background and this helps me to concentrate.

It’s a bit of a niche use case I guess :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know how you use it, Marco! It’s interesting that you use the macOS dark mode to make a secondary screen not distractive.

it’s more like having certain applications in dark mode on the secondary screen that supports having their own style and are not dependent on the macOS setting. Most electron messaging apps have this (like Slack, Teams) where I can override the system settings.

I would like to also have Apple Mail in dark while the rest on my main screen is bright, but that seems not to be possible.

1 Like

Same for me. Generally I prefer light theme, except for some applications (inkdrop, intellij etc.)

1 Like