Android Version disables glide typing on Google Keyboard

Yes, using Chrome works fine. I can swipe without problems.
However, with Firefox the first time you swipe the cursor is moved to the beginning of the word, although with the next words works fine then.
I’ve also built a simple Android app with a webview and it also works fine there.

Device: Xiaomi MI5S - Android 7.0
Chrome: 68.0.34440.91
Firefox: 61.0.2
WebView: Android System WebView 68.0.34440.91

I think the experimental feature will be nice, so we can properly test it :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Sounds good. I’ll work on it. Thanks!

1 Like

Cool :slight_smile:

How are you even running it in Chrome on mobile?

What do you mean?

Oh, they were talking about codemirror, not inkdrop. My mistake.

Though it may be of interest to some - Gboard gesture typing doesn’t work, but SwiftKey does. So does Swype.

Hi Ciel,

Thanks for the info. That’s right. The app only disable gboard. You can use all third-party keyboards.

@David_Miguel
Sorry for the delay.

I was testing it on my Essential Phone with Android P but it is still terribly unstable.
Glide typing works fine but other operations like suggestion won’t work correctly.
So I can’t enable Gboard at the moment.

Hi @craftzdog, thanks for checking.

I still think that is better than nothing… actually in my case I don’t use suggestions at all, however I almost cannot write if it’s not swiping… could you still add a setting as experimental feature?

Ah that makes sense. Gboard without suggestions works fine. I’ll work on it. Thanks!

Good news - CodeMirror is working on version 6 which will fully support Android:

https://codemirror.net/6/

This work is currently at the prototype stage though.
I tried the demo on Android emulator and it seems like it works with Gboard with no problem.

1 Like

v2.3.0 has been released.
Now it allows you to enable Gboard from preferences so you can use glide typing:

Please note that it is unstable when you use it with word suggestions.
As the previous post, it will be resolved in the future with the new CodeMirror.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’m very happy with the new release :grinning:

1 Like

When I enable Gboard feature, I can’t move cursor on text. I click on a word, a uppermost line is selected :slightly_frowning_face:

At this time, this feature is very experimental, unfortunately I must disabling it.

@anon36462715
Yeah, it’s not useful at all.
Please wait for the new version of codemirror.

Good news - I probably managed to solve Gboard’s inconsistent behaviors due to its autocorrect.
I published the patched version on beta channel on Google Play Store.
You can test it out from here:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/info.inkdrop

• Version: 3.2.0
  • Version code: 36

It works fine at least on my device (Essential Phone, Android 9).

Seems like it’s working fine, so I’ve released v3.2.0 now.
Please create a topic if you got any issue on Gboard.
Thanks you guys!

FYI: I’m working on building a native editor for iOS and Android now. Here is a progress report (visible for paid users only): https://forum.inkdrop.app/t/progress-report-on-building-native-markdown-editors-for-ios-and-android/2603