Typing in non-viewable area

Bug report

Page does not automatically scroll when you reach the bottom when writing.

Info

• Platform: iPadOS
  • Platform version: 13.6
  • App Version: 4.3.0

Reproduce

Create a note on iPad version of Inkdrop.
Fill the page with text.
Continue typing, notice the cursor is off screen and you can’t see what you are typing unless you scroll the page manually.

Note:

if you fix this, please add an option to keep the line you are currently editing in the centre of the screen like ‘typewriter mode’ on other apps.

Hi debug menu,

Thank you for reporting it.
I could reproduce it.
It looks like an iOS-dependent issue because the editor scrolls to the cursor position when you typed some characters instead of return key.
I will try finding a way to solve it.

The typewriter mode sounds interesting. But it’d be a personal preference and I need to know if other people also want it as I personally don’t need it. Instead of adding more optional features, I’d like to focus on improving the core features.

Thanks again for letting me know your thoughts!

1 Like

Do you think this will be fixed any time soon? I upgraded to the current version of iPadOS and the same behavior continues.

Hitting return or typing doesn’t cause the page to scroll. I switched from using a Bluetooth keyboard to the magic keyboard and the same thing happens, you just continue to type outside the viewable area.

Other apps don’t suffer from the same bug so I don’t think it’s an iPadOS issue? The cursor should always be viewable.

Unfortunately, no.
The mobile editor has a lot of other issues as well.
I’m considering to re-implement it in native language to solve them drastically though, it will take time to finish (maybe a year).

Well it’s been a year but this issue is still not fixed. :frowning:

The version for apple silicon also seems buggy with graphical issues in dark mode.

I kept my subscription active to support development but I’ll end it now and revisit at some point in the future maybe.

Best of luck!

FYI: I’m working on building a native editor for iOS and Android now. Here is a progress report (visible for paid users only): https://forum.inkdrop.app/t/progress-report-on-building-native-markdown-editors-for-ios-and-android/2603