Notes randomly not being "auto-saved"

Bug report

Since a couple of days I noticed that what I have written into some notes is not auto-saved while typing. When I open the note again the next day, in other instances some 20 min later, recent content I typed is missing, simply gone. Unfortunately, this is not reliably reproducible.

Yes, I ran diagnostics and there are console errors as follows:

Response body: {“status”:“ok”,“seeds”:{}}

:44199 Looks good.
:44199 Network diagnosis done.
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for file:///C:/Users/Patrick%20Thomas/AppData/Local/inkdrop/app-5.5.0/resources/app.asar/code.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for file:///C:/Users/Patrick%20Thomas/AppData/Local/inkdrop/app-5.5.0/resources/app.asar/browser-commons.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for file:///C:/Users/Patrick%20Thomas/AppData/Local/inkdrop/app-5.5.0/resources/app.asar/browser-main.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for file:///C:/Users/Patrick%20Thomas/AppData/Local/inkdrop/app-5.5.0/resources/app.asar/underscore-node-f.cjs.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for file:///C:/Users/Patrick%20Thomas/AppData/Local/inkdrop/app-5.5.0/resources/app.asar/browser-exports.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not parse content for file:///C:/Users/Patrick%20Thomas/AppData/Local/inkdrop/app-5.5.0/resources/app.asar/main.css.map: Unexpected end of JSON input

Environment

• Platform: Windows
  • Platform version: 10
  • App Version: 5.5.0

How to reproduce

Hard to reproduce, so I understand there is not much to do about this, do the console errors give clues?

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the report. Yeah, that sounds weird.
So, a note is properly saved in an instance you are on but not synced to another instance randomly. Is that right?
Perhaps the replication checkpointers are broken for some reason. It happens randomly due to PouchDB’s bug or something.
Can you please try “Sync from scratch”? Please check out the help on how to do it:

Hi Takuya,

So, a note is properly saved in an instance
the weird thing is, that what I entered is sometimes not saved, its not about sync to another instance primarily. Example: I have a note about some travel plans. Then I add a couple of additional sentences to the note, forget about it for some time, look up the same note on the same device (Surface Pro 7 on Windows 10), say 10 min later, and those sentences I added are not there aka not saved. I will look up your troubleshooting information, just wanted to clarify my feedback. Also, if there is a kind of “logging mode” of Inkdrop, I am happy to turn this on and whenever this happens again, to report the log.
Best regards
Patrick Thomas

Hi again, I tried out “Synch from scratch” but it did not restore the “lost sentences that I wrote”.
I am getting into the habit of hitting CTRL+S for “saving” notes after major edits, so as not to loose the entries, but that is of course not ideal. Unfortunately sporadic, so hard for you (and me) to replicate, I understand that.
Best regards
Patrick

The only temporal coincidence that I can see, is that I activated “Backup” in the preferences and entered a Backup location. Far-fetched, I know, but the only thing that changed in the last couple of weeks since those “dropped / lost content” issues appeared.
Best regards
Patrick Thomas

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for letting me know.
So, you mean you usually hit Ctrl-S when editing the notes but the issue happened again?
Hmm, it’s so hard to know what went wrong at the moment. A race condition issue, or an environment-dependent issue, or something else.
I’ll fix it soon if I found a way to reproduce that.