New Inkdrop installation fails to open on new Windows 11 installation

Bug report

I’ve installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 and updated it to the latest version in Windows update.

I installed a couple of apps: Chrome, Firefox, Spotify, 1password, Sophos Home

I then installed Inkdrop.

However, when I run Inkdrop, it starts 3 process which in total take up 20-50% of my cpu but never actually loads.

Sophos did not report any issues with the app.

I also tried uninstalling, turning on windows developer mode, restarting, redownloading, then reinstalling

When installing, I do see the initial installing window. When that closes, nothing happens. I do see the three processes in Task Manager and I do see Inkdrop as an installed program in “Apps & Features”. However, I didn’t see “Inkdrop” in either of the program files directories (not sure what the exact folder is supposed to be though.)

Environment

Computer is a Lenovo Yoga 370

Copied from System:

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.71 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎11/‎7/‎2021
OS build 22000.376
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.376.0
  • App Version: Whatever version was available for download today.

How to reproduce

1. Open app from start menu.
  2. Nothing happens
  3. Look in Task Manager to see 3 Inkdrop processes sucking up CPU
  4. Wait for a while. Still nothing happens

Question

Is there a log file kept somewhere?

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the detailed report.
That’s weird. I use Inkdrop on my Windows 11 machine and it works pretty well so far.
I can also see Inkdrop has 3 processes as it’s an Electron app.

However, I didn’t see “Inkdrop” in either of the program files directories (not sure what the exact folder is supposed to be though.)

The app should be installed into the following directory:

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\inkdrop\app-VERSION\

To investigate the issue, can you please try running it from a terminal with the following option?

C:\Users\path\to\Inkdrop.exe --enable-logging

Please don’t forget to kill the existing processes before doing it.
And let me know what you get in the console.

using --enable-logging

[bugsnag] Loaded!
2021-12-18T00:13:35.875Z app:info Initializing inkdrop app..
2021-12-18T00:13:35.880Z app:info Arguments: C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\inkdrop\app-5.4.3\Inkdrop.exe
2021-12-18T00:13:35.880Z app:info Arguments: --enable-logging
2021-12-18T00:13:35.935Z app:info Starting inkdrop app..
2021-12-18T00:13:36.114Z app:info axios default config: { proxy: false, httpAgent: undefined, httpsAgent: undefined }
[4428:1217/161336.565:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(154)] Failed to launch GPU process.
2021-12-18T00:13:36.721Z app:warn Failed to load account from file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Users\pat\AppData\Roaming\inkdrop/account'

2021-12-18T00:13:36.794Z app:warn Failed to load account from file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Users\pat\AppData\Roaming\inkdrop/encryption-key'

2021-12-18T00:13:36.808Z app:warn Failed to load account from file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Users\pat\AppData\Roaming\inkdrop/encryption-key'

I also found this in the SquirrelSetup.log

2021-12-16 11:19:14> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --updateSelf=C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp\Update.exe
2021-12-16 11:19:14> Program: About to wait for parent PID 13892
2021-12-16 11:19:21> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\inkdrop\app-5.4.3\..\Update.exe' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<UpdateSelf>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<UpdateSelf>d__6.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\inkdrop\app-5.4.3\..\Update.exe' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<UpdateSelf>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<UpdateSelf>d__6.MoveNext()<---

I tried removing the directory at C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\inkdrop and reinstalling with no luck (same errors).

Okay, so it fails to launch GPU process:

[4428:1217/161336.565:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(154)] Failed to launch GPU process.

Please refer to a related issue on Electron:

You can disable the GPU acceleration by appending --disable-gpu-sandbox parameter to avoid it.
But I don’t know what is causing the issue.

EDIT: I’ve built the app with the latest Electron. Hope it works: https://inkdrop-dist.s3.ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/tmp/Inkdrop-5.4.3-Windows-patch-1.zip

--disable-gpu-sandbox worked! But that’s weird.

I tried using the build you linked and that worked too.

I did some more digging and found that Device Manager was using a Windows basic display adapter driver. I then saw that apparently a fresh install of Windows 11 didn’t install a lot of drivers. I had to go into advanced settings in windows update and install all the optional updates. Once I did that, the original installation also worked.

Thank you so much for all the help!

Cool. Thanks for letting me know that and glad it worked!