Missing System's Window frame

Hi @craftzdog

In the last version 5.4.1, the native/system window frame has been removed. With removing the native window frame I’m no longer having the control I was previously had on the windows.

Some features that the native window frame offers

• Keep windows on top of all other windows
  • Application menu (sandwich icon)
  • Show the window on all desktops
  • Start the application with a specific window size
  • Start the application at a specific location

I really hope if there is an option to disable/enable this new feature (native window frame) as of keeping inkdrop window on top of all other windows is important and used all the time

Info

• Platform: Ubuntu/iOS/Android
  • Platform version: 21.04
  • App Version: 5.4.1

Hi King,

You are right. It loses some native window features for the sake of design.
I’m not planning to have an option to disable the frameless window at the moment, because it makes the app complicated to maintain.
Regarding the feature that you often use – the always-on-top feature, you can accomplish it with the following code in init.js:

inkdrop.onAppReady(() => {
  inkdrop.window.setAlwaysOnTop(true)
})

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Published a plugin for that:

https://my.inkdrop.app/plugins/always-on-top

Hi @craftzdog
Thank you for your swift response.
The plugin solves the issue.

1 Like

Great!

While I like the new UI, I also miss the window title bar on my Linux (PopOS) laptop. I use workspaces all the time and I set Inkdrop “Always on Visible Workspace”. Is is possible to have a plugin for it?

1 Like

I guess it’s possible to accomplish with win.setVisibleOnAllWorkspaces API.
Will try it.

@Bob418 published! https://my.inkdrop.app/plugins/visible-on-all-workspaces

1 Like

It works perfectly. Thank you so much!

1 Like

perfect,
Now I’m using always-on-top for a few days and now you’ve added a visible-on-all-workspaces which is great.

There are two remaining issues:

1. The most annoying part is the Inkdrop windows don’t inherit the system’s window shadow settings. Which makes inkdrop very flat. So, opening multiple inkdrop windows make it hard to find/distinguish by simple looking.
  2. If we can make the always-on-top plugin to add a button for keeping on top to be right beside minimize button

@anon24873873

1. The most annoying part is the Inkdrop windows don’t inherit the system’s window shadow settings

I’m on Ubuntu but it has shadow like so:

1. If we can make the always-on-top plugin to add a button for keeping on top to be right beside minimize button

So, you want to toggle the always-on-top feature?
It’s possible to have a menu for that.

1 Like

The “visible-on-all-workspaces” plugin also works on Mac (M1 MBP). Just great!

@Bob418 Cool :partying_face:

Your theme color looks much better than I have and I don’t have the shadow you have.

Yes, I want something to toggle it

I don’t know what’s your distro but it should be an issue with the window manager, and it looks like there is no way to work around it from the app side:

Yes, I want something to toggle it

Okay

I don’t know what’s your distro but it should be an issue with the window manager, and it looks like there is no way to work around it from the app side:

My system is Kubuntu 21.04
Yeah, it seems a core electron issue :frowning:

So, you are on KDE.
Maybe you can tweak it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/563snw/no_shadows_around_some_windows_in_kde_57/

It works!
It forces the window manager to add a windows frame to the application.
Here is the result

Here is how you do it from KDE

Thanks @craftzdog

Nice! Thanks for letting me know :smiley:

@anon24873873 You can also get rid of the decorator but still maintain the shadow by adding theme override:

2 Likes