Migrating from Notion.so was a breeze

I finally finished my personal evaluation of Inkdrop as a replacement for Notion and am very pleased.

A few motivations I had for switching:

• Notion was trying to add a lot of functionality (which is great!) but it slowed the app down. Startup time was very long, and UI interactions very tedious.
  • Notion stored all data in proprietary format, did not have an API, and was not “hackable” with plugins.
  • Now with Inkdrop I have already made 2 private plugins very easily, and will make a few more.
  • The basic functionality of Inkdrop is great, and it works well on my Android phone to take notes and reference them later.
  • Creating and adding plugins to modify Inkdrop behaviour is really simple–I have 9+ years experience in webapp design, so that helps make it easier for me :joy:
  • I really love that @craftzdog is so active on the forum–it’s important to know your voice is heard.
  • I really love that @craftzdog turns down so many features. Having the core functionality really solid is the most important thing, especially when it’s so easy to make plugins.
  • It is very important to me that I be able to export my data easily, into a format that I can ingest with other services. The current export is not enough, but that’s okay because plugins are easy to make to add more functionality!
  • I definitely like that the backups are simple JSON files–with Notion there was no way to make a backup. If it’s ever lost… :wave: I actually have a cronjob that watches the backup folder and does a git commit if there are changes (to a private encrypted git repo).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that Inkdrop is great, and I think your priorities are spot on. :clap:

3 Likes

For anyone else migrating from Notion, I made a plugin that will handle importing their format correctly, preserving tags and status: https://github.com/saibotsivad/inkdrop-import-notion-markdown

1 Like

Hi Tobias,

Thanks a lot for dropping lines! Great to know you switched from Notion.
I would like to let you know the draft version of the next roadmap:

https://forum.inkdrop.app/t/proposal-for-next-roadmap-vol-4/1452

As you can see, the export feature is planned to be greatly improved.
Your plugin is awesome! It would be so helpful for others if you published on ipm XD

1 Like

Hi. It seems this plug in is no longer available? I can’t install it to ink drop. I’ve tried importing my notion MD but the formatting is way off

1 Like