Merge conflict from other computer overwrote a note

Bug report

I saved an edit to a note on my laptop, then opened the note on my desktop and manually synchronized my notes. I had some additional content in the same note on my desktop that wasn’t on the laptop, and when the sync completed the content on the desktop was immediately overwritten with the changes from the laptop. The revision history now only shows the revisions from the laptop, so I can’t recover the content. I didn’t lose anything important as far as I can tell, but if it had happened to another note I could have lost months of writing. What method does inkdrop use for merge conflict resolution? Is there a way I can prevent this from happening in the future?

Info

• Platform: Windows 10 Pro
  • Platform version: 1903
  • App Version: 4.4.0 on both machines

Reproduce

Strangely, when I attempted to reproduce this issue with a new note, the conflict was moved to a separate note as expected. I don’t see any errors in the dev tools that would indicate a problem with the sync.

Hi James,

Thank you for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.
That’s weird.
I tried to reproduce that but it made a duplicate as expected.
The fact I suspect is that you didn’t have a revision for the change you made on the desktop.
The revision should not be over-written or lost once you saved it in local.
So, maybe the change was not saved?
The conflict resolution is newer-wins, based on timestamp and revision number.
Please let me know if you found how to reproduce it.

To prevent that from happening again, please wait for sync finished before you begin to edit.

It’s possible I just never saved that note, since I keep inkdrop open and only restart my machine about once a month. I will keep that in mind in the future.

1 Like