MacOs scrollbars

Bug report

I have always displayed scroll bars on MacOS and they look, aesthetically speaking, very misplaced in their white and light grey colors in the ‘Default Dark UI’.

Info

• Platform: (macOS)
  • Platform version: (High Sierra/10/10.13.3)
  • App Version: (3.20.1)

Reproduce

• Set Show scroll bars to Always in system preferences.
  • Open inkdrop and set theme to ‘Default Dark UI’.

Hi Sceptic,

Thank you for the suggestion.
Maybe it will be resolved by dark mode introduced in macOS 10.14 Mojave?

Hi Takuya,

I would not count on it. Apple does not seem to care about users with scroll bars on Always visible, or any non-default settings for that matter. It’s something requested a lot. There would already be a customization option for the current scroll bar one would think. I have not managed to spot a new style for it on any coverage of the Mojave.

It might also be a long time before I would upgrade since I am using a Hackintosh and updating can be a drag.

Might using ::-webkit-scrollbar to style it, work on MacOs?

I had a brief research on this and found another issue.
::-webkit-scrollbar works as expected but it makes scrollbars always shown regardless of macOS’s scrollbar configuration. I don’t like scrollbars always shown while macOS is configured to “Automatically based on mouse or trackpad” at “Show scroll bars” section.

To solve this problem, you have to make a tiny plugin which just adds a custom CSS for it.
For example, @Samantha_Zhang has already done a similar plugin that makes images smaller in preview:

https://app.inkdrop.info/plugins/img-small

This should be helpful.

Thanks for looking into it. I don’t actually plan on using Inkdrop on MacOS all that much. I only installed and tested it since it has become part of my default set of applications. So as of now I personally don’t have the need for such a plugin. Just thought I should report it in.

In any case it seems more logical to me to place a toggle for ‘scroll bar always on’ in the theme settings for this behavior. And make the scroll bar styling a default part of a theme. Otherwise for every theme, and installed theme plugins, a custom scroll bar plugin would have to be created and switched to when you change themes.

In any case it seems more logical to me to place a toggle for ‘scroll bar always on’ in the theme settings for this behavior

I don’t feel like adding more preferences only for fewer people. A lot of preference support make the app complicated. Plugins are exactly the one for this case. So I can focus on core features.

Thanks!

I have the same issue on macOS Monterey 12.4, M1

@anon13551506 Change the system preferences:

5 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply!