Login Problem: Invalid encyption key

Bug report

I’m getting this weird output when I try to login. I changed my mail. Now I’m trying to login on my other laptop but I can’t. I’m on Gnome 43.4.

app:warn Not logged in +12s
  app:error Failed to load the encryption key: [Error: Invalid encryption key: bڇnŝR�a$�=c��^8g}��_��G1"��|V7��x����S��S���%���|PR�Qo����s7�K
                                                                                                                                              ���.<�"���`��*{�ֿ��.

] +0ms
(node:23112) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: Invalid encryption key: bڇnŝR�a$�=c��^8g}��_��G1"��|V7��x����S��S���%���|PR�Qo����s7�K
                                                                                                                                             ���.<�"���`��*{�ֿ��.

(Use `inkdrop --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:23112) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1)
[bugsnag] Unhandled rejection…
Error: Invalid encryption key: bڇnŝR�a$�=c��^8g}��_��G1"��|V7��x����S��S���%���|PR�Qo����s7�K
                                                                                              ���.<�"���`��*{�ֿ��.

app:warn Failed to load account from file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/.../.config/inkdrop/encryption-key'

Environment

• Platform: Arch Linux
  • Platform version: archlinux 6.2.9-arch1-1
  • App Version: 5.5.3

How to reproduce

I just installed the app and tried to login.

Hi Taylan,

Thanks for the report.
That’s strange.
Changing your email address does not affect the encryption key.
If you have another client that is still logged in, do take a backup right now just in case.

Can you log in to the account on the website?
Can you log in from other computers?

Hi. I took backup and logged out, now I can’t log in from other computer too. I can only log in from the website. Now I’m also trying to log in on phone, it stuck at “loading data”.

According to the server log, you’ve changed your password many times today.
I suspect that that caused the encryption key to be broken. It shouldn’t be corrupt, of course, though.
To investigate it deeper, can you please tell me why you had to do that?

To recover your account, please create an account and restore your backup to it.
Once it’s done, let me know your new account via DMs.
Then, I will transfer your license to the new one.

I got a similar issue.

Today my iPad’s Inkdrop got logged out by unknown reason, then I use my id pw to login but fail.

At the same moment, Inkdrop on my Mac is working.

Then I try to login to website with the same id pw, success. However, still login fail to iPad one.

Then I logout my iPhone’s inkdrop, Try to login with the same id pw, Fail.

Then I try to change my password on website, it pops fail because current password is not correct.

but then when I try to login to this forum to get help, my original id pw becomes invalid. Unable to login.

Then I try to use the new password to login to forum, success. (Although change password seems to be failed)

Then I use my new password to login to iPad and iPhone, success

I just found that when I am using Apple UniversalControl and MagicKeyboard to type into my iPad, when I input with shift+3, sometimes it becomes £ but not #.

It may be saved to keychain

Don’t know if it affect anything

Yes, I changed it, then I thought maybe that’s the reason and changed it again with something simple and didn’t work. So I reverted it back. I changed it only three times.

Should I create with a different mail and then change it back, or delete this account and re-create with the same mail?

If server logs shows more than three password change, while changing password it kept saying password was wrong and I kept trying.

Created new account and sent you a DM.

@Enzo_Kwan
Thanks for reporting.
I guess you were trying to log in with the wrong password (as you suspect with the MagicKeyboard).
It seems that your encryption key is not broken.

Thanks for the information.
That’s strange. As long as I can see in the server log, you’ve changed the password 6 times.
Maybe there was a race condition issue or something :thinking: