Installing Inkdrop 2.0 on Google Pixelbook

Bug report

Hello. On ChromeOS one can download apps via the play store. While trying to download Inkdrop the version number is 1.3.2 instead of 2.0.

Thank you for your time.

Info

• Platform: (ChromeOS / Android)
  • Platform version: (67.0.3396.99 / 7.1.1)

Reproduce

Attempt to download app via the play store on ChromeOS

Hi,

Thank you for the report.
That’s weird.
What is your device?
All Chromebook devices are registered as supported in the Device Catalog on Play Store Console.

I have a Google Pixelbook.

Ah, the latest version requires a camera access for image attachment feature. Google Pixelbook doesn’t have a camera. That’s why you can’t install it:

Doesn’t support required feature <uses-feature>

• android.hardware.camera

I see. Thank you for your reply.

In a future update would it be possible for you to set
android:required="false"
For the
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" />
in the manifest?
The majority of the apps functionality would still work and increase the number of devices that can use Inkdrop.

Or perhaps take advantage of
android.hardware.camera.any
instead of
android.hardware.camera
to allow for devices with only a front facing camera?

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the advice, that makes sense!
I’ll fix it in the next release.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi,

I built an apk with android:required="false" for android.permission.CAMERA.
Could you try it please?

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/inkdrop-dist/tmp/inkdrop-build-18.apk

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It does install and run, but there are a few issues.

1. There are semi-regular crashes when going between menus.
  2. There isn’t the quick markdown helper. The bar that is above the keyboard on mobile for quick markdown syntax.
    • This might be something to look into for tablet sized devices because some people use hardware keyboards so that software option might not be available to them.
  3. Image attachment is not possible. However this was known to not be possible with the way the app works currently.

Thank you so much for doing this. I have needed this many times on my Chromebook.
:slight_smile:

Let me know if you need someone to test on ChromeOS. Cheers!

Hi Neil,

Thank you for reporting it.
It seems that there are some problems on ChromeOS.
I’m afraid that it is difficult to debug at the moment because I don’t have a Chromebook.

This might be something to look into for tablet sized devices because some people use hardware keyboards so that software option might not be available to them

Yeah, I will check it with my Android phone with a bluetooth keyboard connected. Thanks!

You can use Inkdrop through ‘Crostini’ the Debian Linux based Linux VM on Chromium, just go to Settings and enable “Linux (Beta)”.

You will need to install two packages for Inkdrop to work correctly under Crostini:

1. gnome-keyring - Inkdrop uses this to store your login credentials and will error on launch without it. To install, type this in Terminal: sudo apt install gnome-keyring
  2. libxkbfile-dev - Inkdrop uses this to properly configure keyboard shortcuts, without it pressing TAB will bring up the Filter pop-up menu of the Notes list. To install, type this in Terminal: sudo apt install libxkbfile-dev
1 Like

looking forward to hear from you all. kindly guide me!