Inkdrop x Manjaro issue (& now Ubuntu Budgie)

hello there!

I’ve got an issue while starting Inkdrop on Manjaro:

The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files Please check your system configuration or report the problem.

any help would be welcome.
Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi Gregoire,

Thank you for reporting it.
I’m afraid that I haven’t ever used Manjaro so I can’t help.
Searching the web with ‘Electron Manjaro’ would be helpful.

No problem with Atom though.
:slight_smile:

Wich Linux distros did you test? :slight_smile:

I noticed Ubuntu on the Inkdrop website but not a fan of it :slight_smile:

Inkdrop doesn’t seem to use node-keytar, but installing gnome-keyring as specified here may help (I have seen Inkdrop trigger a GNOME Keyring popup on launch some time ago).

No, Inkdrop uses node-keytar to store credentials safely.
I’m testing it on Ubuntu. I’m afraid that it is impossible to test all distros alone.
Maybe it’s helpful to check out the troubleshooting on our doc here:

Thanks Jasper for the comment :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey there,

so, I’m trying it on Ubuntu (budgie, on an intel 64 laptop).

here is the issue now:

Error message:
An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=“method_call”, sender=":1.76" (uid=1000 pid=6985 comm="/snap/inkdrop/26/usr/lib/inkdrop/inkdrop --no-sand" label=“snap.inkdrop.inkdrop (enforce)”) interface=“org.freedesktop.Secret.Service” member=“OpenSession” error name="(unset)" requested_reply=“0” destination=":1.16" (uid=1000 pid=2885 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login " label=“unconfined”) Please check your system configuration or report the problem.
Status code:

I tried every step recommended in the documentation, still the error knocking when trying to log in :upside_down_face:

ok, I figured it out.

You CAN’T use the Ubuntu app store package. As curious as it is, it doesn’t work, at least on my laptop.

Following your install recommendations using command lines works just fine.

:grinning:

So, you were trying to install the Snap package, not the deb package.
I guess you didn’t run the following command, as the documentation says:

sudo snap connect inkdrop:password-manager-service

No I didn’t use the snap package.

Inkdrop is available directly in Ubuntu app store. Though is seems not to work.

Hmm weird, I haven’t published it on Ubuntu app store. I wonder who did it.

1 Like

I am trying to migrate my default laptop to Ubuntu, and ran into this same problem: Inkdrop is available on the “Ubuntu Software” app listing, but installing it that way shows the error “An AppArmor policy…” as described earlier.

Before I found this forum post, that error message linked me to the troubleshooting page here https://docs.inkdrop.app/manual/troubleshooting so I tried installing the missing packages, and tried restarting the laptop, but I got the same error.

If you didn’t list the app on the Ubuntu Software, maybe a good idea would be to add a note to that troubleshooting page to say something like “if you installed via Ubuntu Software try uninstalling and installing this official way”.

Actually, after uninstalling and attempting to reinstall via snap instructions, I’m running into the same error:

An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=“method_call”, sender=":1.125" (uid=1000 pid=4506 comm="/snap/inkdrop/26/usr/lib/inkdrop/inkdrop --no-sand" label=“snap.inkdrop.inkdrop (enforce)”) interface=“org.freedesktop.Secret.Service” member=“OpenSession” error name="(unset)" requested_reply=“0” destination=":1.20" (uid=1000 pid=1355 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login " label=“unconfined”) Please check your system configuration or report the problem.

Still poking around, will report anything I find here.

Never mind, I forgot to run the step “allow the app to access to your keyring” :man_facepalming: installing with snap from the command line works fine. Thanks!

1 Like

Okay, I added a troubleshooting for this!

Thanks for reporting

1 Like