Inkdrop on Windows randomly not shutting down correctly again last 2 versions

Bug report

Inkdrop on Windows randomly not shutting down correctly again last 2 versions.
Need to kill a remaining process myself to get it to start again. When opening the app before you encounter the following error screens:

Info

• Platform: Windows 8.1
  • Platform version: Latest
  • App Version: previous and current version I believe.

Reproduce

Quit Inkdrop and hope that it does not close properly, I can’t find a way to reproduce it every time. A very similar bug has occurred before though but then it did not show up at all nor with error dialogs. So maybe just check what you did to fix it last time and see if there are any changes?

Hi Sceptic,

Thank you for the report.
The major change of last 2 versions is to upgrade Electron from 1 to 3.
I suspect that it may cause the problem but I’m not sure why at the moment.
I will check restarting the app on Windows and see if any error occurs.

Got the bug as well. But after restarting my PC and try opening Inkdrop, it’s just infinite loading screen :cry:

That’s weird. Please tell me if you get any error in the console.

I tried to reproduce it and got a strange error in terminal after restarting the app several times:

#
# Fatal error in , line 0
# Check failed: (isolate->snapshot_blob()) == nullptr.
#
#
#
#FailureMessage Object: 000000FC891BEBA0%

And it seems that the app is broken and won’t launch again.
I reinstalled the app then it launched.
Above error looks like a Chromium-related issue, so I guess this is an Electron’s bug.
But couldn’t find any bug report there.
I will upgrade Electron version in the next release.

I found Inkdrop sometimes unloads very slowly for some reason.
But it basically just unloads the database and remembers the window size and position, and there are no additional tasks when unloading.
I updated Electron version to 3.1.4 but nothing changed.
So, I’m afraid that all I can say at the moment is, please don’t relaunch the app too quickly :disappointed_relieved:
I tried Electron@4 but found it has another problem such as printing.
I hope it will be resolved in the future.

For some reason when I opened it today it fixed itself … :joy: not sure why but I will take it for now.

1 Like

@Yuko_Otawara pointed out how to reproduce this issue and I found the solution for it.
The issue happens when you quit the app after editing a note without waiting for auto-save. The app’s main process hangs and never stops.
I made the app unload local database first when quitting, then the issue disappeared.
It will be solved in the next version.
Thanks!

v3.25.4 has been released. Thank you for reporting it!

I just updated to the latest version (I’m on Arch Linux) and got the same error:

#
# Fatal error in , line 0
# Check failed: (isolate->snapshot_blob()) == nullptr.
#
#
#
#FailureMessage Object: 0x7ffdc8f236f0[1]    6210 illegal hardware instruction (core dumped)  inkdrop

I found a similar issue on VSCode:

Can you try reinstalling it?

I just checked on the mobile app and your server is missing all my work of yesterday. The strange thing is that I was online all day on a good internet connection.
Any way I could avoid loosing my work of yesterday? I did a lot of edits on a long architecture document…

I guess your data is saved in local. Please try reinstalling it and syncing it again.
BTW, I’m afraid that Arch Linux is not supported officially so I can’t say it definitely works fine on your environment.

Also don’t forget to back up your data if you haven’t set it up yet:

Yes, I checked and that was set up actually.

So it is good I did not loose anything, thanks.

good to hear that.