How do you organize notes?

Inkdrop basically doesn’t restrict how you organize your notes like Evernote and Apple Notes.
So, it’d be interesting to know how other people organize notes on Inkdrop.

The idea came from the Nick’s tweet:

I’d love to hear about how people are using @inkdrop_app in their day-to-day work. Personally, I have a “Daily” folder where I create a new note for each day and organize them later. I’d like to improve my system. Any advice?

Please share your Inkdrop workflow with us here!

1 Like

Here are some comments from that thread on Twitter:

I personally use it for all of my notes, whether it’s a short note so that I don’t forget a command or script, have a notebook for that, or my extensive notes on my studies or research. I do keep it mostly for personal notes and not work.

@anon65920699

• Lots of personal note taking.
  • When I worked in a team, I used it to draft my standup/meeting prep notes.
  • Draft long responses to Slack messages. Helps avoid accidentally sending before done. Helps me to check the tone beforehand so I don’t send the wrong vibe.

@Justin_Noel

Here is how I organize my notes on Inkdrop:

I basically write notes regarding development. Non-dev things are not included.

2 Likes

To expand a bit on my response. I use Inkdrop as my goto for any note taking, mainly personal and rarely work related, but will still consult my notes if needed for work.
I divide it into different notebooks and subnotebooks for the subject, meaning that I have a notebook where I keep my command knowledge and then subnotebooks where they’re separated into different subjects. So I have a subnotebook for Python, where I keep code snippets that can be reused in different scripts or explanation of adding argument handling on a script or error handling, for example. The main knowledge notebook is used for notes that don’t fit in any of the subnotebooks, mostly because it’s a general topic or something that doesn’t justify having a subnotebook for.
I also study and annotate as much as possible, so I have a study notebook and each course has it’s own subnotebook.
I do try to keep screenshots to a minimum, since most of my work is in the console, I find it easier to just copy and paste the terminal output and also makes it easier to search.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, @Nicole_Daniella!
So happy to know how you use it.
I also used to create notes in the main notebook (named ‘Inkdrop’). It mostly works for managing knowledge and tasks.

Agree, instead of pasting screenshots, it’d be useful to paste logs directly.

I annotated to the image how I have organized my notes on Inkdrop by folders. In addition I use a tag or two for posts to further help with the organizing.
I use Inkdrop on desktop and mobile to jot down the notes that comes to my mind anywhere I am.

The screenshot is so helpful to understand how you organize notes! That’s so clean and pragmatic.
What UI theme do you use?

UI Theme I’m using is night-owl-dark-ui.

1 Like

The GTD (https://todoist.com/productivity-methods/getting-things-done) system from the early 2000s heavily influences how I organize my notes. My notes are also fairly analogous to my previous paper notebooks (the little 3x5" type) that I would try to always have at hand.

I have top-level notebooks based on ‘location’ or ‘domain’:
Home - everything related to the place I live and existing (food, car, bills, hobby-non-code, etc)
Code - all things freelance, coding related, for learning new stuff, and a ‘dump file’ for random ideas
Store - all things related to my non-freelance job, where I run a hobby shop/store

Everything I could want to take notes about will fall into one of those categories. If something becomes functionally its own domain at a later point (an app), it’ll get a new notebook dedicated to it, but I try to keep the toplevel very small/minimal. It helps focus. Also helps for me to remember that I can tag the notes or give them a status, since thats in the sidebar, but I rarely use them - but I see them.

Under each top-level notebook domain, they’re sorted similarly - but Home doesn’t have all that much sorting. It does have my “Next Seven Days” pinned note, which is the one I interact with most.
Setup like this - https://community.inkdrop.app/note/58043c6316f38d25124f073e626b7b79/note:FruSyzP__
My in-use one is more busy/long, obviously. But small, temporary or transient things that need remembering or doing go there. Things like “get soap” or “return the router” or “bring a book sunday”, and things that I intend to do regularly, like Thursday and Monday have “go walk for an hour”.
If I don’t do a thing on the day I assigned it, either I move it (up to a few times), or I decide to not do whatever it was.

I have utility notes, like people mention for code snippets. I have code snippets, but also, random addresses that I need to have available, a little life-timeline in html, etc. A note for my car and when I get various things done to/for it. Hobby project ideas. Things to research. Sometimes just writing something down and getting it out of your brain will let you get ‘beyond’ that thing and see something better or more useful. A possibly-great idea that you keep in your mind will block you from seeing the way it won’t work, which will probably be obvious once you try to put it into reality, even a little bit.

Inkdrop is my extra brain space that doesn’t forget, and is always (basically) available to add to.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Yeah, the GTD(Get-Things-Done) would be one of the great techniques to organize your tasks! For those who don’t know GTD, it’s a technique with 5 simple steps (quoted from the Todoist’s website):

1. Capture - Capture anything that crosses your mind - nothing is too big or small
  2. Clarify - Process what you’ve captured into clear and concrete action steps. You’ll decide if an item is a project, next action, or reference material.
  3. Organize - Put everything in the right place: Add dates to your calendar, delegate action items, file away reference materials, sort your tasks, and more.
  4. Review - Frequently look over, update, and revise your lists. Do smaller daily reviews and bigger weekly ones.
  5. Engage - Get to work on the important stuff. Use your system to know exactly what to work on when.

That’s nice - because Inkdrop supports workspace view, you can quickly focus on what matters right now:

That’s a great example of the use case of the ‘Pin’ feature!

Thanks so much for sharing your workflow, @Emily_DeJoode :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: