(Exported) PDF Link with toc with À in it does not work

Bug report

(Exported) PDF Link with toc with À in it does not work. And when clicking link in preview window a weird error happens, another note render window is opened at the bottom of the window. Very glitchy.


  • Platform: Windows 8.1
  • Platform version: Latest
  • App Version: Latest


Use the toc plugin. Create a link using ### containing the symbol À in it. Watch the glitch when clicking the link and that when exported it does not work.

1 Like

Hi Sceptic,

Thank you for the report.
It seems that PDF does not support links with non-latin words including Japanese characters like あ.
I’m afraid that it is by design.

The app converts HTML into PDF with Electron’s API.
Link anchors are generated based on GitHub-style slugs.
But slugs with non-latin characters do not work in PDF files even if they are URL-encoded.

Hi Takuya,

That is weird because I have never had that problem. Links with special characters should work just fine in PDF proof:

There is still the glitchy behavior I tried to explain that happens inside Inkdrop after clicking a link with À in it:

Note that note renderer window did not open this time I could not reproduce that today only a weird margin is added at the bottom. Still glitchy though. Could not find out with dev tools what happened.

Do you use the latest version of TOC plugin?
There was the same issue in the past but resolved.

I guess that’s because special characters are not used in the anchors in your pdf file. I’m not talking about link titles.

1 Like

Aah I see. I personally would not bother with fixing the PDF anchors but it does seem like a small fix.

I was one version behind, and it is fixed now after updating. Thanks!

1 Like

I have to hack remark-toc and its dependencies to solve the issue.
Seems like easy but would take some time.
I would like to focus on rebuilding the app for now.
Please poke me again once it’s out!

Good to hear that. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to see this issue fixed in the near future because I write notes in Japanese a lot.
Some of my notes are lengthy minutes for business discussions and shared with PDF format.

As Takuya said, this is a specification of PDF that only accept ascii as effective anchor codes.
However, I found this fix that it encodes all toc items to generate unique ids for anchors.

Fix coded by Ruby

Hope this will help.

I understand your need.
I know why it won’t work, that is, non-alphanumerical characters are being URL-encoded (e.g., %38%6F) so it would be nice to just drop % in anchor IDs.
But let me focus on developing the new version for now.

Headers containing Japanese characters are also not linked when outputting TOC in PDF, so I hope this will be improved soon.

It’s useful to have TOC working properly when sharing long memos in PDF with a team.

Using Inkdrop v5.2.1.

You can avoid the issue by exporting as HTML and converting it to PDF for now.
I’m focusing on improving the mobile app along with the roadmap right now.