Current ipad support? apple pencil?

Hi folks, new user here. I like to mix markdown notes with hand-written notes, using my macbook for typing markdown and my ipad for “by-hand” calculations / derivations / diagram drawing. Is this possible with inkdrop? Maybe the ability to have a freeform block?

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for the suggestion.
I understand hand-writing on a tablet would be useful for some people.
However, Inkdrop is meant to be a plain-text Markdown note-taking app.
I’m focusing on improving it as comfortable as possible to write notes in Markdown.
So, I’m afraid that I’m not planning to support hand-writing for tablets.
You can insert images from another drawing app instead.

Understandable. Is there a relatively simple workflow from another writing/drawing app on the ipad for image insertion?

1 Like

Thanks for your understanding!
At the moment, the mobile app does not support share extension (the iOS feature for exporting data to Inkdrop from another app) but I’m planning to support it in the current roadmap:

https://blog.inkdrop.info/the-roadmap-of-inkdrop-vol-5-251c3997bb74

Many thanks - I will look forward to the update!

1 Like

What about support for Apple Pencil, so we can hand write using pencil and have it conver it to text for ink drop?

Hi Nat,

Can you please tell me why you need that feature?
As I said, Inkdrop is meant to be a plain-text Markdown note-taking app.
I personally don’t use Apple Pencil to input text.
So, to be honest, I don’t have any motivation to implement it at the moment.

Instead, I’d like to focus on improving the core experience.
I’m planning to rebuild the native Markdown editor as I stated in the current roadmap.
It matters a lot more than adding handwriting support.

I’m trying to use ink drop on an iPad as a lab notebook to replace paper notebooks that require transcribing, get lost; and can’t be searched electronically. GitHub flavored markdown is useful because it is what electronic data repositories like osf.Io use for theirs wikis/logbooks. So I could create a markdown file that I then import there.

The laptop computer is busy collecting data and must stay in a fixed location attached to a dat acquisition device. It and can’t be picked up and held to take notes in it while looking at an instrument or placed on a low height shelf like a paper notebook . Using a pen and iPad best replicates the paper notebook experience and is easier than trying to type on the iPad keyboard while holding the iPad , although I do try to use that keyboard as well. Pencil support just means you don’t have to do any handwriting recognition yourself, you just accept the text input from that built in feature I. iOS.

But now you problslbu see why I want to be able to add sketches as images too, and here too a pen is naturalZ

Thank you for letting me know your use case!
Yes, I understand your workflow where you’d prefer handwriting.
BTW, the recent iPadOS supports Scribble, so you can enter text with Pencil natively.
It also works on the Inkdrop app out of the box.
You can simply handwrite text on the editor directly.
Here is a demo:

Hope that helps.

If you want to take lots of handwritten notes with a apple pencil, OneNote, EverNote,Notability, GoodNotes note taking apps may suit your needs.
for more details: https://www.xp-pen.com/forum-5583.html

Inkdropdoesn’t support apple pencil input, but you can try other note taking apps like GoodNotes or Notability.
Read more: 20 Best Note Taking Apps in 2023: Free and Premium - pctechtest