Bug report

Cannot Install the setup.

• Platform: Windows
  • Platform version: 10
  • App Version: (3.9.0)

Reproduce

When I try to Install the setup file I get the following error :

Windows protected your PC

Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.

Hi Mukesh,

Thank you for reporting.
Sorry, the app is not signed with a certificate at the moment.
Certificates for windows apps are expensive.
Please ignore the warning for now.

FYI: I bought a code signing certificate from Comodo today.

3 Likes

Fantastic news :slight_smile:

Also a web clipper like Evernote/One Note please ( like the article view feature, which keeps the images but removes extra fluff from the web page )

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion.
Web clipping is nice to have.
However Inkdrop doesn’t aim to be a replacement for Evernote, etc.
So it would be nice to be a plugin.

Fantastic to hear!

Sorry, there is a bad news.

It turned out that I can’t get a code signing certificate at the moment.
There are two problems:

1. I don’t have a company yet

To get rid of the warning of Smart Screen, I have to get an EV code signing certificate.
It requires that I have my company at least.
But I would not like to make my company at the moment because the business scale is not enough big yet.
There are few advantages to make a company at this scale in Japan.

2. Pricing is ridiculously expensive in Japan

I actually tried to buy a certificate from Comodo. I found the pricing is reasonable (I noticed it is not EV later though).
They said they need to verify my identity by face to face verification done with notary, attorney or from certified public accountant.
I asked an attorney to do so but he refused since Comodo is an overseas company. I don’t know why it’s not ok.
So it turned out that I have to buy a certificate from a Japanese agency but it’s very expensive.
For example, Comodo Japan’s one costs 65,000JPY (≒ 573.68 USD)/year, tax not included.
It is the cheapest one I’ve found for now.

I would like to plan it again once I have established my company.
Maybe next year, hopefully.

Thanks!

@craftzdog I would forget about an ridiculously expensive certificate and go for another route. Why not go for a Windows package manager perhaps https://chocolatey.org/?

Also it seems Inkdrop is mostly used by developers who really don’t care about a Windows warning. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Sceptic,

Thanks for the information. I haven’t ever heard Chocolatey and it looks like nice. But it is basically a CLI tool and I guess it is not friendly for most users.
I even don’t know if the warning will disappear when the app is installed with it.

I’ve got complaints about the warning so it seems that there are some users who care about it.

They’re stupid expensive in the states too. It’s so frustrating. SSL certs are now free because of Lets Encrypt, but certs for desktop software are still totally unaffordable for small-ish software projects. I did buy one years ago by creating a Sole Proprietorship for myself. I remember it being pretty inexpensive (compared to what I paid to digicert), but it sounds like there might not be a comparable legal entity in Japan.

I usually hesitate before installing unsigned software. Lots of malware out there these days. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Well your app moto is literally “A Notetaking App for Hackers” So I think its fine, :wink:.

@anon94884183 Haha, thanks.
But it’s also annoying for me because I have to ask Microsoft to add my app to their whitelist for every version. :sob:
So I would like to buy an EV code signing certificate when I could establish a company.