Bold/emphasis shortcuts not working with multiple cursors

Bug report

Hi there, I’m a software developer and I always take notes with this magnificent app.
I’ll go straight to the point, sometimes, when I take notes, I do not put any formatting at first, but when I finish writing, if I got spare time, I usually put some kind of style and formatting to the document, like putting bold/italic/… .
The problem is that when I press CTRL, to select more then a word at a time instead of going one by one, the formatting gets buggy.
Some selected sentences are repeated and everything is formatted, instead of only the words I’ve selected.

Environment

• Platform: Windows
  • Platform version: 11
  • App Version: 5.5.3

How to reproduce

Select more then a word and then press the B (or CTRL+B). You’ll see duplicated sentences and a wrong formatting.

Hi Danilo,

Thanks for the report.
Is that correct to reproduce the issue by the following steps?

1. For example, you have a sentence like so:
|Hello world this is Takuya.

“|” is a cursor.

1. Hold CTRL, press Right three times
<Hello world this>| is Takuya.

The text is selected from “<” to “>”.

1. Press CTRL-B

You get duplicated sentences.
What happens here?

Currently, I can’t reproduce it at least on macOS.
If you installed some plugins, please try disabling them.

Hi there!

No no, I’ll attach some screenshot to let it be more clear.

Let’s say I’ve some text, when I press CTRL and click with mouse on different words, They get selected, then I would like to have only AWS, Cloud and they as bold.
But as you can see this is the behaviour when I click on B(bold).

Gotcha!! So, you are talking about multi-cursor operations.
I managed to reproduce it.

I’m planning to migrate CodeMirror, the editor component, from v5 to v6 in the future.
It should be fixed with the new version.

Yes! I was not getting the word :sweat_smile:

Perfect, thanks a lot! Keep up with the amazing work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get the same bug. I am aware that this bug is known to the author and will be fixed in the future. But I also want to report this “Ctrl-B to bold selected text” bug for single cursor and other conditions.

Environment

• Platform: MacBook (I also use Inkdrop on Windows and iOS, but have not yet tested for this bug)
  • MacOS version: 14.0 (23A344)
  • Inkdrop version: 5.5.3

How to reproduce

• Bug 1: wrong selection when pressing Ctrl-Z after Ctrl-B: the whole selection moves 2 letters to the right. All the time.
  • Bug 2: select a word with next space together, Ctrl-B => the next word is bold as well, not only the word between the two **.
  • Bug 3: It’s more complicated and weird if you select text from 2 lines: whole lines or not, with spaces and the end of the selection or not. You can check this yourself.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.04.06
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.04.15
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.04.27
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.23.59
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.04.37
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.04.44

Hi Chris,

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll keep those bugs in mind when upgrading CodeMirror to the new version!

Regarding the bug 2: select a word with next space together, Ctrl-B => the next word is bold as well, not only the word between the two **.
It would be an incorrect Markdown: **cooked **foods does not work in the CommonMark specifications.
You can test it here: commonmark.js demo

Regarding Bug 3, how should the editor behave by this, what do you think? CommonMark doesn’t support emphasizing text across multiple list items.

I see, and I agree with you about the bug 2. It’s not a bug.
Regarding bug 3, the only matter is that the selection moves when you press Command-B and Command-Z. (both actions move the selection).

Thanks for the quick response!

bug 3 - alright, it works correctly on the mobile version, which is built with CodeMirror 6. So, upgrading CM will resolve the issue.