Save the currently selected notebook

Bug report

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature request but I am highly sensitive to it and would love to see this change. I keep a mix of personal and work-related notes across various notebooks. On a number of occasions, I have updated inkdrop while at work, and surprisingly the app restarts with all of my personal notes on display for anyone in my open office to see, because it defaults to showing ALL notes instead of the previously selected notebook. ordinarily I wouldn’t have my personal notebooks up while at work, so this is very jarring and unexpected behavior.

Thank you for everything!
Adam

Info

• Platform: macOS
  • Platform version: High Sierra/10.13.4
  • App Version: 3.23.1

Reproduce

1. create multiple notebooks with some notes in each
  2. select a notebook from the sidebar to filter out notes from other notebooks
  3. close the app
  4. re-open the app
  5. the view defaults to displaying ALL notes instead of the previously selected notebook

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the suggestion.
Remembering the last selected notebook would be nice to have.

BTW, what kind of notes do you have for private?
I assume that you have private notes like journal, diary, todos or something like that?
But I would not recommend you to store such private things in Inkdrop.
Because it is basically designed for taking notes about your programming works. It would not replace apps like Evernote.
I hope you use other appropriate apps for each purpose.

If you have some other reasons, please let me know!

1 Like

It is my understanding that Inkdrop is zero knowledge based on the security page? If that’s the case why would it not be ok to store private information if you have no access to it and cannot read it?

I have no access to read user notes as you said.
But I’m not talking about security but about his use-cases in terms of features.
Because I would like to keep the app simple and clean. Adding more features will make the app more complex even if you would think it’s a simple, small feature. As I’m developing it alone, keeping the codebase minimum is important to maintain.

I understand that storing everything in one place is great, but Inkdrop is not made for doing that.

That’s an interesting point of view. I see inkdrop as the set of features that I want for taking the kind of notes I take. I have never found a use in my personal life for most of the features of fully-featured note-taking apps. I also prefer inkdrop for its simplicity and the types of notes I take for myself (a shopping list, notes from a doctor’s appointment, reminders) do not necessitate their own app.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay.

Yeah, you can use it for whatever because the app won’t stop you from doing it.
You can take notes about other things as you said, but I don’t recommend it.
Because Inkdrop is solely designed for developers.
I will not add features for other purposes.
That makes the app simple, clean and stable.
Hope you understand.

1 Like

I don’t entirely understand. You believe reopening the application to where the user left off adds feature complexity?

Yes. If I continued adding more features for other purposes, even if each one is small, the app will lose its focus and will be buggy because I don’t use them.

I see. That’s obviously your prerogative but I’d be hard pressed to describe a scenario in which, after an update, I wouldn’t expect an app to reopen to where I left off and I’m surprised you don’t consider that expected behavior, but I’ll leave that as my two cents. Thanks for listening.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I agree with this.

I’m curious which apps in particular you’d recommend? Every one that I’ve tried either has a poor UI, questionable security, a poor writing experience, and/or poor organizational functionality. Including:

• Workflowy
  • Dynalist
  • Standard Notes
  • Evernote
  • One Note
  • Typora
  • Penzu
  • Turtl

Are there others out there worth trying?

Apps I often use and how I use them:

• Things: Managing ToDo list for my private things
  • Evernote: Clipping websites, storing pictures of paper documents, saving highlights of books copied from Kindle, etc.
  • Day One: Journaling
  • vim or MacDown: Editing local Markdown files
  • 1Password: Managing passwords

Nothing special though :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • Evernote: Clipping websites, storing pictures of paper documents, saving highlights of books copied from Kindle, etc.

It’s good a way of using. That can compensate for what Inkdrop can not do. I want to try it.

1 Like

I’m curious which apps in particular you’d recommend? Every one that I’ve tried either has a poor UI, questionable security, a poor writing experience, and/or poor organizational functionality. Including:

• Typora

What’s wrong with Typora? I’m super happy with it. The only thing missing imo is note-linking & tagging.

Typora is amazing. The only thing it’s missing is some sort of tagging mechanism like Inkdrop has. That’s super important to me because tagging allows me to create a sort of table of contents or index of all my notes.

That said, I realized the other day I’ve been overly fixated on having tagging functionality natively built into my note taking app. While it’s nice to see a visual list of tags like Inkdrop does, I decided that needn’t be a strict requirement. Then I saw that Typora supports YAML front matter and a light bulb went off: I can tag my notes using YAML front matter and create a command line tool fairly easily to parse the tags from my notes. And so that’s exactly what I did*. For me personally, the advantages of doing this far outweigh the loss of a visual representation of my tags in the UI:

• Now my tags are embedded into the note itself. That’s important in case I ever want to switch to a different editor. (A shortcoming of Inkdrop is that when you export your notes, your tags are effectively lost.)
  • I can write commands that list all my tags, adjust the sort order, display counts for each tag, show a list of notes that contains specific tags, etc, etc.

* I just started building this out, so there’s no documentation or installation process yet, but that’s all coming soon.

Good solution!

If I find more time I will also try to make a commandline tool to make tagging (e.g. via front-matter) easier. Also a symlink-generator would be handy, so that I can generate relative links between notes which do not break when the whole note-directory is moved.

Remembering the last navigation state has been supported in v5.1.0: