Inkdrop for Mac - preview panel crashing with unformatted JSX inline styles

Bug report

On Inkdrop for Mac, the preview panel crashes when I type JSX code that uses inline stylesheets.
Error message is: " Failed to render Markdown - If the problem persists, please report it. Sorry for the inconvenience".
Sample error log is here: https://pastebin.com/qm9sScjb

Info

• Platform: macOS
  • Platform version: Mojave
  • App Version: 3.23.2

Reproduce

Paste the following text in a new note. Don’t apply any formatting, just put the raw text in the note.

<p style={{fontSize:'20px'}}>

Here’s another example:

<div style={divStyle}>
  <p style={pStyle}>Get started with inline style</p>
</div>

Hi Bruno,

Thank you for reporting.
That’s not a bug because Markdown doesn’t support JSX syntax, just like browsers can’t parse it as HTML.
You have to enclose JSX code with ``` like so:

```
<p style={{fontSize:'20px'}}>
```

If you want to specify custom style in your inline html, write plain css in style attribute:

<p style="font-size: 20px">
  foo
</p>

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I wasn’t expecting JSX support, and I know I can use backticks. I just wasn’t expecting a one-page error log filling the preview window, just because I forgot the backticks :slight_smile:
Perhaps the preview panel should just ignore JSX code and show it as it is, instead of trying to parse it - just like a web browser does for bad HTML code.
Anyway that’s just a suggestion, more “cosmetic” than else. Thanks for the support, and for an excellent piece of software!

An application crashing because of bad user input is a standard example of a use case to prevent. Every software quality and user experience manual will tell you that users will input a lot of things which you would not expect as a developer and applications should be solid enough to deal with bad input (in this case JSX without code block).

I’m quite shocked that Inkdrop crashing is considered okay behavior!

@anon85383644

Ah that makes sense - it’s confusing and it would be nice to make it error tolerant.

I will look into the current HTML parser to see if it supports.

Thank you for the suggestion!